Monday, January 07, 2008

Stand back 10 ft. from your monitor...


...and this might actually look respectable. I did have fun with this page and thoroughly enjoyed shaking off the rust, but will admit I did get lazy in some areas. Mainly, I chose the wrong quill and kept going with it even though I knew I was shooting myself in the foot. And, like I said in an early post, I didn't darken the pencils up enough to fully see what lines I should be laying down. Kinda frustrating, but it's the learning process and they call it practice for a reason, right? Could I have done more clean up on it? Sure, but I'm tired of looking at this page for now ready to move on to the next one.

Stuck mainly to the old school tools with this. The brush, a 102 and the 512. Sure I probably could've done a better job by using markers, but I'm adhering to the roots I'm "supposedly" learning from my Kubert course. I say "supposedly" because I've slacked on my assignments and haven't turned one in in almost a year. (I hope to change that in the future though, if you're reading this Mr. Kubert. The fault's all mine.) Enough of my insecure artist psychobabble though. Here it is. I tried to go Sinnott in some areas and Leaf in others. Sometimes it worked, most times it didn't. The next one will be better though. That's all I can hope and expect.

Here are Byrne's original pencils:

6 comments:

Heywood Jablomie said...

Looks really good to me man! Whereas you can kind of tell that maybe there were some trouble areas, if small, it still came out really nice. I wish I had me some inking skills like that though! Mine need a LOT of work. But nice job with it! I'm assuming you're doing the Kubert Correspondence class, how are those? Even though I'm like 2 hours from the school I always wanted to do one of those. I'm not serious enough to do the whole school part of it.

Matt Wieringo said...

Looks great, dude! Major points for using the "real" tools! I wish I had that control. Just awesome.

I wish I'd been able to attend the Kubert School. Would've been just as valid as the degree I DID get. And more useful.

Christian D. Leaf said...

Correct. I'm "supposedly" taking a correspondence course, which is the bees knees, if not challenging. They set you up though. All your supplies and paper. A book to develop and practice on. Plus, a handy dandy DVD with Uncle Joe hisownself giving you the scoop on inking. Heck, I even think Mr. Kubert delivered the comments on my first assignment. Well worth the money, if you've got the drive. (One of these days...) I lucked into a holiday discount when I signed up, so they might still be doing the same. If not, wait until around Turkey Day.

Thanks, Mafus. Shamed in some areas, but proud of others. Ye Olde Constant Struggle us artistic types deal with on a daily basis. So hurry up with that 'Haps so I can destroy it—STAT!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had the dough to throw down on one of those courses...er tew!
The job you have done is awesome...I dig it, ya dig?

Heywood Jablomie said...

Very cool. Yeah from what I hear Mr. Kubert himself does do a lot of the grading on stuff, as do the kids....could be why they take so long on projects these days! =P

Christian D. Leaf said...

If you wanna peep that first assignment it's back in April of last year under the posting: "First panel flub."

Pretty damn sure that's Mr. Kubert's handiwork in the comments on the first and last panel.