Thursday, December 20, 2007

Merry Grinchmas


Sorry there hasn't been much action over here recently. Been in a bit of a slump and I've had a couple freelance jobs eating up most of my creative freetime. (I'd post them, but they're not the most thrilling pieces. Plus, I'm not sure if I can do that legally yet.) That and work has been crazy hectic. Guess some people don't want us creatives to have time off for the holidays. Oh well, it pays the bills. Hoping to take some time off in January and buckle down with some ink. I've got an issue's worth of Demon pencils to get my brush and quills back in shape. And I've rewritten the first issue of a comic idea I had last year. Kinda given up on NOWERE as werewolves seem to be the new zombie. I'll revisit that tale at a later date once the boom has long since busted and the lycanthropes are looking for new life.

In gamer news...I polished off MASS EFFECT a week or so ago. While I was apprehensive about the purchase at first I found it to be highly enjoyable. It’ll definitely warrant another playthrough as I probably only explored maybe 50% of the game. You’ve got galaxies and within those galaxies you have systems/clusters and within those you’ve got planets—each with its own history and most with land missions. A wide scoped game. Another nice bit is that you can playthrough again with your same character keeping all your stats, level and equipment. Of course, if you don’t boost the difficulty level you’re not in for much of a challenge. But there’s so many other classes that it’s tempting to start over again with a Soldier or Tech as opposed to the Sentinel I went with the first time. (Basically a Jedi-type that can’t really train any weapons. Pistol skills are all you get.) I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it I reckon.

Played a couple other FPS games: BLACKSITE 51 and TIME SHIFT. The latter I found to be fun with the power to slow, stop or reverse time. Sure it was still your basic run-and-gun kinda game, but being able to turn back time and unstick that grenade some chump stuck to you was a nice touch. Freezing time to get enough clearance from that missile heading at you was tough to beat too. BLACKSITE 51 was mediocore at best. Not really worth mentioning other than I played it, so you wouldn’t have to. Rent it if you must, but please, save your money.

Okay, that's all I got for now. Happy holidays to everyone. Those of you with snow, enjoy it for us Southern Dandies, okay?

5 comments:

Matt Wieringo said...

I have GOT to finish Conan and get it back to you. I haven't been able to play it much but, when I have, it's been a hoot. Not a challenge for hardcore gamers but for a dabbler like me, it's aces.

Christian D. Leaf said...

Don't sweat it, Mafus. I've still got Orange Box and FEAR Files to polish off. That and I'd rather try to stay away from the 360 and start spending more time at the drawing table.

Heywood Jablomie said...

Merry x-mas to you and yours Leaf. Here's hoping we all get some time to enjoy ourselves. I have a stack of games myself that I'm trying to hit but the damn job keeps getting in the way!!

todd said...

merry christmas to alla you leafs!
i think you'll be getting 2 cards from us--i screwed up my list and think i sent you one twice...
anyway, have a very merry--hard not to do when there's a little girl around! maybe the day be full of lilah's wonder...
merry merry!
todd

Christian D. Leaf said...

Back atcha, Heywood. I share your pain and hopefully we'll both share some joy.

Todd, got your card today and it's fantastic. You astound, my friend.

Happy thoughts to everyone.